Wednesday, October 24, 2012


Every day in the editorial section of the Rochester Post Bulletin, there is at least one letter to the editor either in favor of or against the gay marriage amendment. One I read the other day, in favor of banning gay marriage, spoke of how the church would see a miracle and overcome this issue by a successful ban. The writer used the miracle at Guadalupe as proof that the church maintains its members in part by miracles. The writer told how the conquerors faced dwindling numbers of converts until the Virgin Mary appeared. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. I think perhaps that the low numbers of converts had much to do with the mass slaughter of the indigenous peoples by those conquerors and their missionaries.

Growing up Catholic and attending Catholic schools, I was always taught how the heathens were mercifully saved when the Christians "came to their countries, preaching the Word." We were to hold in the highest of esteem and respect for the holy men who courageously faced the barbarians and even gave their life in the cause of salvation. These were indeed men of God and we were to model ourselves after them and work to save the mislead and doomed (non-Catholics).

It wasn't until I took a Beginnings of Western Civilization course in college that I learned that the conversion of so-called pagan groups was more often forced than not and that native culture was destroyed and identity lost. All in the name of religion.

I remember being a young girl and having the idea that perhaps God was okay with Pagans, Native American spirituality, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and all other "religions" that cultivate peace, love and respect. Perhaps He understood that for their own culture, that was the way they worshipped Him and He was immense enough to accept that. Perhaps it was man who felt the need to control and convert and man was acting for his own ends and not God's, and certainly not in the spirit of love.

This idea has stuck with me and is the catalyst for my current journey. The more I learn about the history of the Catholic church and Christianity all together, and the more I open myself to the truth of the Sacred Light, I doubt that the church is acting as Jesus taught. His message is so simple. If we truly lived by "Love one another as I have loved you," there would be no war or religious conflict.

I always remember a quote that Kevin Costner said in the movie "Robin Hood-Prince of Thieves" when he spoke of the crusades:

My father said it is vanity to force other men to your religion.
I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment