Sunday, October 28, 2012


Dreams as Healers

I dream a lot. My dreams are vivid, in color and I remember most of them in the morning. Many people have theories on why we dream and what our dreams mean. Mine is that they connect us to our spirituality. Some dreams allow us to process painful, unresolved issues that prevent us from being free. I think others are a gift of our Divine Mother to add a bit of magic to our lives, which I will share about in my next post.

I grew up in an alcoholic family and have had many scars inside due to the sick environment I grew up in. I’ve had recurring, painful dreams of my family ever since I was a child, particularly about my mom who I was never connected to. For years these dreams would haunt me and I’d awaken crying, scared and sad. I would go through my day unable to shake the depressing feelings that these dreams left me. I dreamed that my mom was always comparing me to my siblings and was disappointed in the person I am, telling me she wished I could be more like my sisters.

I am different than my sisters. At home, when everyone else was trying to keep the peace, I raged against what I saw. This behavior is unacceptable in a family where you pretend and try to maintain the secrets.

Through the years, with maturity, therapy and self-acceptance, my dreams about my mom have changed. They are still painful but where once my mom was berating me, we are now face to face talking with each other. I’m hopeful that in time, I will come to terms and be comfortable with accepting how it was growing up.

I now can turn to my Divine Mother for the nurturing, support and acceptance I didn’t have as a child, and that frees me to resolve my relationship with my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment