Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Journey Truly Begins

I approached once again, the mouth of the cave where the Ancient Crone dwells. Only this time was different. Far different. My typically wild, tangled red hair was bound neatly in a braid down my back. In place of the gown, tattered and torn from my wild wanderings, I now wore a clean, well-made knee-length tunic. My feet, no longer bare and bleeding, were covered by sturdy sandals. I was embarking on a journey. I didn’t come to the cave this time in distress, hysterical, lost and desperate for healing. I came healed. My body strong, my mind clear and my spirit cleansed. I was healed. The wounds of my dance in the red shoes, the cuts from my bleeding heart bore faint scars, but I was healed. I came to the cave this time to give thanks to my Ancient Mother for her care, love, wisdom and blessings. The crone sat on the same gray, time-worn-smooth stone that was her place. She sat plaiting reeds into the shape of a sack, and I could see her work, though her eyes were milky, and her hands were gnarled with age, was superb and almost complete. “Mother,” I whispered reverently, and moved forward to sit at her feet. She paused in her weaving and gently touched my cheek. “Daughter of Light,” she murmured her voice paper-thin from years of chanting, counseling and singing. “My daughter, I feel the strength and purpose in your soul once more. You have wandered many moons, faced terrible foes and have come through the storm strong and pure.” Tears of gratefulness ran down my cheeks onto her ancient hand, as her words bathed my soul with love and light. “I see you are ready to continue your journey. You are ready, you are strong, but even strength alone is not enough to keep you safe and true on your path. The world is full of traps, beasts and illusions. You must equip yourself against such terrors. Child, accept these gifts as you go on your way.” She made a move to stand, and I, too, stood to help her but she slapped my hands away. “I am not so feeble. My strength is still powerful. Do not let appearances fool you.” She chided me. She handed me the reed sack. The work was beautiful and I felt worthy of such a fine gift. “Take this my Child. For you will need something to hold what is necessary for you to bring along on your quest.” My Mother than produced a sturdy staff of ash wood, carved with runes I somehow knew the meaning of, even though I had never studied rune lore. As she held out the staff for me to take, she intoned “Not all terrain is level. Not all water is clear. Do not rely on sight alone to guide you. The eyes are easily deceived.” From the cave she gathered more items for me: A skin of water and a handful of acorns. The final items she placed in my sack were a candle, white and smelling of beeswax, and a flint. Around my shoulders she draped a mantel of the purest white, soft but strong. “My child of light, go forth on your journey now and do not forget the lessons you take with you. My blessing is upon you. I await your return, but know and believe I am always with you.” With that, I confidently strode out of the mouth of the cave and began my journey… There is much symbolism in this vision that attests to where I have recently journeyed from, to where I am now on my soul searching and to my quest going forth. That I arrive at the cave, strong, healthy, whole and clean is symbolic of the healing I continue to experience. Like the Phoenix, I have emerged from the ashes of my pain, more beautiful and more powerful than ever. The beautifully made reed sack is a vessel to carry the tools I need in order to stay safe and healthy on my journey. It is my being, and I have all I need stored within my soul to journey forth with confidence and clarity. The staff is my intuition. I use it to test the waters now, where once I would dive in, heedless of what lurked beneath the depths. I lean on that intuition as I would a staff, when things don’t feel quite right. It is my guide. Water symbolizes so much. Cleansing, life giving, refreshing, initiation… without water, we cannot survive. Water is to the body what love is to the soul. The acorns are symbolic of the wisdom I have gained through my experiences. I will share that wisdom along my way and the seeds of my truth will take root and grow to enormous heights! The candle is the light of my true essence and being: my soul. I walk in light; I am a child of light. It is interesting that neither I, nor the Crone mentions where I am journeying to. I’m sure she knows but has no good reason to tell me. I myself do not know, nor do I have the desire or need to know. It is enough that I am well-equipped, brave and strong. I will go where my true path takes me, learning, growing, and loving every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment