Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Gift That is Us


A recent experience has led me to examine my worth and how much I value myself as a woman. For many reasons, women often hold on too long to relationships that don’t honor them. We are afraid of being alone, we’re scared no one else will love us, we are dependent on another person financially, emotionally and psychologically. We settle for less than we deserve. When someone hurts or betrays us, we wonder what we did wrong in order to warrant such treatment. We tell ourselves “If only I was more ________ (pretty, sexy, fun - the list is endless), he/she would ___________ (love me, make time for me, put me first - again the list is endless).

            I’ve come to understand that when someone acts toward me in a way that goes against what my soul desires and needs, it is not due to any defect or wrongdoing on my part. It simply means that the other person has been careless with my gifts and that my needs are not being met. My gifts and love are too precious to casually drop into the lap of someone who doesn’t appreciate their value. My light is too beautiful to be put in the care of someone who is afraid of or won’t tend my fire. We can lose sight of the value of the treasure that is us, and our light will fade if these are not carefully guarded.

            So many people think it takes great courage and strength to consciously let in the light bearers and shut out the ones who would steal our treasures and carelessly toss them in the trash, but I say it’s how much we love ourselves that enables us to make these vital choices. Loving ourselves means we honor our gifts and value our worth. We recognize how precious and magical we are. When we realize and really embrace our worth and beauty, there is no way we could ever entrust our gifts or light to someone who doesn’t value us as much as we value ourselves. There is no replacement for this true, deep and vital love.

            Closing the door and moving on from someone or a relationship that wounds our souls is imperative to our self-preservation and peace, and it is absolutely necessary in order for us to be free to polish our treasures and tend to our light for others who honor us to receive.

            When we love, respect and honor ourselves in this way, our love for ourselves and others radiates throughout the universe and we find more and more people and relationships that are worthy of our gifts and our light.



No comments:

Post a Comment